First Community Call!

Hey frands, please join our first community call! For everyone who wants to get involved :slight_smile:

Topic: Cryptoeconomics Community Call
Time: May 31, 2018 7:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/922822965/ics?icsToken=36a9de44b72dc237441b4892300ad396bcbe4900cf8bc78e3a63b1170b98b0af

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/922822965

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16465588665,922822965# or +14086380986,922822965#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8665 or +1 408 638 0986
Meeting ID: 922 822 965
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/kl63kJBy

Second Community Call

Yay! Looking forward to seeing you all then! Also just released a few videos which if you have any feedback I’d love to hear it during the call – https://cryptoeconomics.study/lectures/chapter-01-0.html

Talk soon :blush:

Looking forward to it

Missed the call! Just found out about this forum. Just wanted to say thank you.

I emailed my alma mater and the econ department there asking if they had any plans on implementing a cryptoeconomic field of study in the future. No response in like 6 months. So I am glad other people share the same passion I do :slight_smile:

Looking forward to learning with you guys,

• padpad

Is there any way to join the call for free but avoid installing the zoom plugin? If not could we look at using open protocols like WebRTC rather than closed ones like zoom?

@padpad it’s not too late to join

@hairychris I think it is possible without installing the zoom plugin https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/214629443-Zoom-Web-Client

@Daniel Thanks for the support article, I didn’t see a ‘join from browser’ link but it says:

Through your settings, you can control if the Join From Browser link appears automatically or if it only appears once the participants attempts to download the Zoom client.

Perhaps we need to ensure that setting is set so the link appears automatically.

Edit: Yeah just checked, you can click to download and then the link shows up, lets make it there by default.

Edit2: I’ve got video but no sound, it wants me to dial in via POTS to get sound, can anyone else make this work without the plugin?

Edit3: Yup, no audio seems to be by design with the web client.

Edit4: So they either monetise this platform by you dialling in or by you installing their plugin, not sure I’d trust anything that plugin was doing particularly as it would be trivial to make audio work without it.

Edit5: Aha! Using Chrome and the hidden ‘Join by browser’ link you can get audio and video with no plugin.

Call Number 0 Notes & Takeaways

General stuff

• Community calls will be held once a fortnight on Thursday 7am PST (next call 15th June~)
  • A few days out before the next call, we should release some sort of agenda which people can add things to. Think before we go into the room
  • Try to have good contribution etiquette. Pull often and keep your progress visible to avoid repeated work / writing on the same thing = greater confidence in others contributing.
  • Further discussions on how to dethrone Karl or something like that… fork it

Content

• Course will be led by book first vs video? General consensus around book first mainly because the book can improve, iterate and change as opposed to video ~ However do whatever you want anyways lol, don’t feel obliged to follow these recommendations too strictly but be wary about - can be a ongoing discussion
  • Add case studies? Real life analysis or example of applied course content
  • Add and create ‘further reading’ list for individual chapters or the entire book itself. Contain it so it doesn’t become messy.

Course progress & contributions

• Help with the visualisation of network node interactions (find in github repo named: code)
  • Currently Jing is working on Chapter 3, Aparna is working on 5&6, Peter working on Chapter 1
    ==> insert yourself ~ jump in and contribute
  • Others can encouraged to create videos as well, post within book as a link
  • If you want to help out with the code, reach out to karl (at) karl.tech

Did someone record the call, or at least the chat from it?

I guess I assumed it wouldn’t all have disappeared after the call, and there was at least one link in the chat that I wanted to click on but didn’t.

Hey! Yes I recorded the call but alas I forgot to get everyone’s permission to post it. Next time we will start by making sure everyone is alright with the video being posted on YT.

However, here’s the (mostly anonymized) chat log :slight_smile:https://gist.github.com/karlfloersch/58ae14fecae1479aef0142563fd2acca

Sweet, thanks! I got the link!

And fwiw, you’ve got my permission to post videos of any of these calls that I’m in

Good first call. Lots of great ideas. Nice to put some faces to names :smile:
Looking forward to seeing this evolve.
If anyone is in the Oxford/London UK area, ping me to meet up!
Cheers,
Chris

I’m in London until end of next week but will be back :slight_smile:

Are you living in Oxford?

It was great to meet you all. Hope to learn and contribute a lot more to this community

Cool! I visit London at least once per month so let me know when you plan to be back around and we can make plans to connect.

Yes, I live in Oxford. It is a nice place and I can recommend it for a visit :slight_smile:

Anyone looking to perhaps set up another community call sometime in the near future? I have been swamped with work so I have not been able to dig into this as much as I would have liked the past week.

Hey padpad! Our community calls will be monthly, and we will update the forum and the email list with details on how to join the next call. If you have anything you want to contribute or discuss in the meantime, please feel free to make a post on the forum/ ask questions, etc.

@jinglebells excellent, that sounds good to me. Thank you

@jinglebells are you still doing this monthly? Would love to join! (we met in HK at ETHIS)

Is there going to be another one of these anytime soon?