New Course Feedback

Update from @K-Ho:

The below info is outdated. The course is live at this new link. Still welcoming all feedback in this thread!

If you ever get lost, stuck, or have questions please let us know! Post a thread, comment in this one, or shoot @K-Ho a message :slight_smile:

Welcome To The Cryptoeconomics.Study Community Forum 🙂

So I have gone through section 1.1 of the course and it’s really good. It’s aimed at the right level for me. I imagine I would be pretty typical of the type of person who will eventually take this course. Understand blockchains and cryptography at a very high level but not the nuts and bolts, and someone with at least some coding experience. I understand this is a work in process, this is my initial feedback:

• I like the mkdocks type format of the site (what is the framework btw) it’s clean and easy to navigate,

• I also like the workflow of watching a video, reviewing in text and code at the end of the section. These are complex topics and all that reinforcement is good

• Syllabus section is a way to verbose eg when talking about hash functions it just raises more questions than it answers (wtf is preimage resistance) the student will read this before they do the chapters. This should be enough to tell you what you will learn these concepts should be broken in within the chapters

• The next link in dev setup is broken

• again I don’t like the overview for chapter one, it’s copied and pasted from the syllabus section. Maybe instead of the bullet points, a little more detail on those (context and relevance) or just Introduce them within the chapter

• again 1.1 lecture overview could be more detailed with longer explanations of concepts. The style if very terse and feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to reinforce the material in the video

• the coding challenge from 1.1 I like. It’s laid out much better with good use of the headers and block text

I have watched the videos and read the text. I haven’t started the coding challenges yet. I will do those when I’m at my desk on Monday, but I will go over section 1.2 and maybe 1.3 tomorrow and give feedback on those

Thank you so much for the feedback! :slight_smile:

The framework is Docusaurus. It’s the same thing that’s used for hack.aragon, 1Hive, and substrate.dev (which I shamelessly forked because Parity is awesome and makes all their stuff open source :tada:)

Glad the reinforcement process is helpful! The idea is to (somewhat) follow the practice of reinforcement learning as described by Michael Nielson in Augmenting Long-term Memory and mnemonic mediums. Ideally this will help make learning as easy as possible by automating many of the strategies that help humans learn faster and remember longer. We may even incorporate an email system that hits you up with questions regularly to reinforce the content you’re learning (like qcvc does).

Sorry about the Syllabus and Chapter 1 intro. It’s on my todo list of things to fix, but I was going to wait until we had the entire chapter ironed out before updating it. We have enough of a rough draft now though, so I’ll bump that to the top of my list. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for catching the broken link. Will fix asap Fixed

Thanks again for the feedback and please share more as you go through the course!

Will do, on the whole it is fantastic and I can’t wait for the plasma stuff!

The MVP that we can ship with our current budget is only chapters 1-3. In order to move on to L2 stuff like Plasma and Eth2.0 we are going to have another fundraiser. If you would like to see this happen, please tell your friends! We’re looking for support from the Ethereum Foundation, Gitcoin, and anyone else who wants to support open source community driven free education materials for the Ethereum community :slight_smile:

Also can someone organise the videos on YouTube into a playlist, it makes it much easier to watch them all in order

Totally forgot about YouTube. My thinking was that the experience would stay inside the website and students would watch a video, read the notes, and do the coding assignment. Sounds like you’re watching all the videos first, then exploring the coding challenges?

If so, would having a separate page just for coding chalenges (or videos) like this help?

Here you go!

Agree with @Aaron. He had great feedback!

I like the new site. I would love to see a progress bar of some sorts. So when I finish chapter 1, I can just click, “watched video” and “did coding challenge”.

On thing, different people may have different levels of participation/contributions in mind. Some might want to contribute without wanting to vote. So perhaps have two tokens. Carrots, for those who both want to contribute and guide the community. And a second token those who just like to participate for fun.

I’d call the second token, “sticks”. Maybe have a conversion between the two. Like say one member of the carrot class is not participating, so he is being removed. Another member can then use X amount of sticks to buy that members voting rights. Or you can have a hierarchy. Like 1000 sticks = 1 carrot

Hmm…

signing up on the forum-------------------------------- X amount of sticks
Giving feedback ------------------------------------------X amount of sticks
Being a nice person on the forum ------------------ X amounts of sticks
Leaving good messages on @karl’s videos ----- X amounts of sticks

^ something like that.

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

When you say progress bar, do you mean something that shows you how much of the course you have completed and how far you have to go? If so, that would require creating a function for each student to create a profile and log in. This is non-trivial, but we’ll take it into consideration for a future version of the course. Alternatively, if you want to roll it out yourself we’d be happy to mint you some Carrots for doing so :carrot:

Re sticks and carrots: What you’re describing is essentially how the DAO is setup currently, but with different terms. Gerbils control the DAO and almost all voting rights. Carrots are used for signalling. As the community matures we’ll transfer more and more governance and decision making power to Carrot holders and away from Gerbil holders. If someone doesn’t want their Carrots they can always trade them and that’s 100% ok. Gerbil tokens however are non-transferable (via social contract - so if you are a Gerbil and transfer the token to someone else Gerbils will create a vote to burn that token). Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

so I completed all of chapter 1 and I think the course is fantastic. I learn best when I can combine visual (videos), reading and practical learning all in one.

At first, I thought maybe having an online editor would be better. I still think having a unified experience would be beneficial to some but I prefer the current workflow. it’s much more realistic and I rarely use online IDEs anyway.

the format of the coding challenges made sense overall it was the best part for me. I have definitely learnt skills I can put into other projects and solidified the theory from the course.

I honestly can’t think of anything that needs changing for me it was great. I can’t wait to get to the plasma implementation! but I do worry there might be a big jump up in skill level along the way

Quick thought: After this course is finished, maybe have a certification.

Definitely something we want to do. Current plan is we’ll run anti-plagiarism software on the student’s fork and if it passes and passes all the mocha tests, they are eligible for a certification. Charging for certificates could also be a way to generate some revenue to reward contributions in the future!