An Evolution of Human Cooperation

I’m stuck figuring out how to make Rust play nicely in mdBook, but while drowning in Stack Overflow technicalities my mind wandered to cryptoeconomics and how it’s the next evolution of human cooperation.

Monarchies: I have a big stick and god gave it to me, and god has a big stick too, so do as I say otherwise we’ll hit you with a big metal/moral stick.

Capitalism: I have lots of money to buy lawyers and equities and our gov enforces and supports money, laws, and equities, so do as I say otherwise we’ll hit you with a big and expensive legal/physical stick.

Cryptoeconomics: there’s things to be done and if you want to do them you’ll be rewarded with X, but there’s also other things you could try to do and if you do you’ll be punished with Y, so do whatever you want :v:

Cryptoceonomics, if implemented correctly, might help to replace/minimize many institutions and practices we use today to reach consensus or enforce behaviors. That being said, there’s still a place for legal processes and voting, but they are often overused and inefficient for many usecases. Cryptoeconomics can help us optimize incentive verification and enforcement just like software and computers helped us optimize database entry and management :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

Completely agreed! I believe cryptoeconomics and Token Engineering will provide novel ways to align the profit incentive, which is a very efficient driver of human behaviour, with social benefit. Here is an article I wrote describing how this can be achieved more effectively through token bonding curves and curation markets. There will be lots of follow up information to come over the next few weeks as we work to build out this project with Giveth, using the latest R&D coming out of BlockScience.

Wow this is legit!

I’ve actually dreamed about creating a similar thing as Trash Hero, but using computer vision to identify trash and verify work being done. As you can imagine there’s tons of problems with that model though lol. I like how Trash Hero is a happy balance between machine automation and community organization :slight_smile:

Edit: actually now that I think about it something like this might be perfect for daonuts! Just created a suggestion for an “Anti-Gravity” TCR here if you want to check it out lol

Here’s the TL;DR:

• TCR = automated market based system to dynamically adjust curation 24/7 without anyone doing anything
  • “Anti-Gravity” = the “weight” of any vote decreases over time so that whales don’t tip the scales too much
  • Tokens could then go into a community fund as they “burn off”

At the moment there is no machine automation in the Trash Hero community - the suggestions I made were independent of the actual organization that is working to clean up beaches around the world. But it could be an example of permissionless fundraising for important causes either way :wink:

Interesting TCR model, kind of reminds me of the Moloch DAO where stake is burned to exert influence over decision making in a community.

In the TCR model we are currently exploring, called Conviction Voting, we are allowing staked preference to increase in weight as time passes to a certain threshold, to give more weight to longer standing community members. Great to see some algorithmic diversity in these TCR experiments, I’m sure many of them will be useful for various applications at some point - if they work :wink:

Are you saying that Trash Hero didn’t actually implement the TCRs, but you were just showing how they could?

Also Moloch DAO looks really interesting. I’ve been following it on and off for a while, but I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on it :slight_smile:

And that’s actually really cool! Daonuts is in the context of Reddit karma so users get new tokens on a weekly basis and we want to burn those off lol. In a context where tokens are rarer, Conviction Voting makes a lot of sense though. Seems like a good way to quantify reputation/engagement. Where could I learn more about the Conviction Voting flavor of TCRs?

Not yet :wink:

We are working on doing the trash hero thing for real but with a very different design (done by the superstars at block.science) for the cause of token engineering itself :smiley:

Also, I am part of Moloch… its still early days… we will see how it works out.

That’s correct, I was just using Trash Hero as an example of how the system could be implemented. Maybe one day that use case will be built out!

Moloch is a very interesting approach to the tragedy of the commons, I am curious how well personal sacrifice for the greater good will scale and address the free rider problem outside of niche, passionate communities…it is great to see lots of different experiments being tried out, either way!

Good call, in a context where tokens are plentiful and attributed in a UBI style you would need a different mechanism for applying them. There will be some content coming out regarding Conviction Voting in this forum soon!

Hey @GriffGreen and @Jeff-Emmett, fancy seeing you here in the forums :slight_smile: .

While reading your article, one of the first things I thought of was force a time lock on Trash Hero Coins to protect against pump + dumpers, so I like the idea of incentivizing long-term holding of the coin. I like the concept of the people who invest at high prices basically subsidizing early supporters with their losses.

We are trying to reduce locks as much as possible, as they can cause undesired second order effects around token volatility down the line - although a locked vesting period will be required on curve initialization. We also plan on taking advantage of speculative buy/sell behaviour by introducing a “friction fee” that is charged on exit, which funds the labour pool of the Trash Hero effort.