Contribution guidelines

How to contribute ?
What kind of content can people contribute that’d be helpful ?
Code of conduct
Need structures for organizing content and material across different platforms

Reference:

How to contribute ? What kind of content can people contribute that’d be helpful ?

Great question! A while back I wrote up some info regarding the contribution process here: Website Overhaul & Collaboration Process , but I’ll try to condense it and provide some updated information.

You can…

1. Contribute to the book by submitting PRs to https://github.com/cryptoeconomics-study/website/tree/master/book
    a. There is a file for each chapter which corresponds to the chapters outlined in https://cryptoeconomics.study/overview.html
  2. Contribute to the coding project by submitting PRs to https://github.com/cryptoeconomics-study/code
    a. I’m currently working on chapter 2’s lesson in which we simulate a P2P network and find that double spends are a big issue. After this we will be adding PoW and then hybrid PoS–if you’d like to contribute I’d be happy to provide more guidance.
    b. I have started building visualizations of the simulated P2P network here (please excuse the horribly ugly commented out code). What I want to see is a visualization of the network of nodes with the ability to 1) click on any node and check the internal state for that node, and 2) visualize the network message propagation in real time (ie. nodes turn green when they send a transaction & turn yellow when they receive one). If you like working on browser visualizations and want to learn about blockchains and P2P networks this would be a great thing to work on.
    c. I’ll create an issue on the GH for both of these.
  3. Create your own lecture videos for different topics which we cover in the course. I will be creating lectures for each topic, but I won’t be able to cover everything so if you can fill in any holes that would be awesome! When we release chapter 1 and lecture 1 (coming soon!) hopefully it will be more clear what topics could use further video explanations.
  4. Join the community call which will be scheduled and announced shortly.
  5. Come up with more ways to contribute and post on the forum like you’ve already done! Thank you!!

Code of conduct

Be kind to each other and give without fear! Stay open! Be happy!

Need structures for organizing content and material across different platforms

Yes! I think that in the end everything should be easily accessible in a “read only” mode from cryptoeconomics.study . For instance all the lectures, chapters, and important code should be included in the overarching GitBook. For contributions, I’m super interested in hearing ideas for how to organize and make it easier for people to get involved. I’m open to whatever!

Looking forward to building this together :slight_smile:

Has chapter 1 been completed? Would like to contribute but don’t want to do work that has already been done.

How about a weekly type of call/online meet/tutorial/subject like what Blockgeeks does. That would be a great way to get more community involved and a way to stay organised.

This is actually a really good idea

I believe Bitcoin Core have meetings on thursdays via irc, we could probably do the same via slack
and make summaries to keep it organized

What say ? @karl

How about a weekly type of call/online meet/tutorial/subject like what Blockgeeks does

This sounds great! Let’s do a community conference call next Thursday (5/31) at 7am PST. I’ll make a post about the call shortly with a Zoom link and everything. We can post the recordings of our calls on YouTube which will be fun too.

Has chapter 1 been completed?

Chapter 1 is currently WIP, although it’s nearing completion. For the lectures I have most of the slides and just need to record everything, and for the book Aparna and Jing have a draft. I also merged your PR :slight_smile:

I’ll release a bunch of content before the community call so that everyone can take a look and provide feedback. Plus it’ll help to get an initial structure formed so that future contributions are more straightforward.

Hey guys, just wanted to say, whoever made the logo for this course, is awesome! I created this sweet t-shirt for myself. #represent lol!

CustomInks is charging $40+ per shirt to print this. I found a cheaper place, uberprints.com. They have $17 per shirt. So everyone who wants one too, you guys know where to find it at the cheapest price! :slight_smile:

Hi @karl, I’d like to contribute to the coding project, can you give me some direction please?

Create your own lecture videos for different topics which we cover in the course. I will be creating lectures for each topic, but I won’t be able to cover everything so if you can fill in any holes that would be awesome!

I’d love to help out with this! I can start with videos diving deeper into the details of cryptographic hash functions and public key crypto? :smiley:

@decentralised Hi @karl, I’d like to contribute to the coding project, can you give me some direction please?

Yay! I’m going to put together a document which is like the course overview but instead for the coding project. It will have a full spec for each one of the chapters. I’ll also start putting together issues to help give some more manageable chunks. Plus on our next community call we can discuss further :slightly_smiling_face:

@K-Ho I’d love to help out with this! I can start with videos diving deeper into the details of cryptographic hash functions and public key crypto? :smiley:

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them :slight_smile: & feel free to DM me if you need help! PS. all of my slides are open and ready to be used for anything you’d like, plus you can use zoom screen recording for producing videos–though that does have lower audio / video quality. Maybe I’ll put together a tutorial with how I make my videos! Could be fun.

Either way let me know! Feel free to DM if you have questions regarding the content you’re producing :slight_smile:

Hey there guys, I found a typo on https://github.com/cryptoeconomics-study/website/blob/master/book/chapter-01.md

believed*
uncryptographically/non-cryptographically*