Introduction of Self

Hey everyone!

My name is Kevin and I’m a recent CS and Fine Arts grad from UPenn. I’ve been engrossed in the space since ETHWaterloo where I learned first-hand how amazing the Ethereum dev community is. I’ve been interested in how to use tokenized royalties and cryptoeconomics to create a better music industry (hmu if this interests you as well!) Looking forward to contributing, most likely by creating additional video lectures.

Hey everyone!

My name is Oskar and I work at Status. I’m nomadic, currently living in Berlin/Europe but spend a bunch of time in Asia as well, most recently Tapei. Besides finding cryptoeconomics as a whole a new and exciting area, I’m interested in how to apply it to the systems we build over at Status. Last few weeks I’ve been diving into cryptoeconomics on my own a bit through various resources, and I wrote my own biased view of the field here: https://discuss.status.im/t/cryptoeconomics-what-is-it-about-and-why-should-you-care/78

Here to dive deeper into the field and contribute what I can :slight_smile:

Hi All,

My name is Momsad, I have a computer/electrical engineering background and am currently a Salesforce developer. I’ve been investing in cryptos for just under a year and have been digging into blockchain infrastructure development. i hope to learn as much as I can from everyone and this community seems full of experienced blockchain devs.

I hope I can learn enough that i can contribute to this community in a constructive way. Cheers!

Momsad

Hey all,
I’m an artist and work as a designer at Gnosis. I’ve been around Blockchain for some years, even combined art and crypto in 2012 when my friend and I ran an online gallery that took BTC as a form of payment hahaha.
I’ve kept tabs on the development of the ecosystem, and as a person with strong interest in economics (this is what my artwork is about) I have come to find cryptoeconomics as a fascinating intersection of blockchain, economics and cryptography. I would like to help out in building the future of this branch of blockchain-driven applications.

@karl we just met at fullnode, see you around the forum here and let me know if you think there are some specific posts/ideas that i should pay attention to in order to contribute to the project from the side of design/ a bit of programming (no too good in the latter :expressionless: )

J

Hey @Joolian,
Do you see blockchain solving the problem of lack of value of digital arts? As digital art can easily be copied, they don’t get value as physical paper/canvas based art. I have been thinking about putting digital art on blockchain to track for double spending - but verifying authenticity of digital art seems very tough ( that the person uploading an art is the actual creator) Also, digital art can easily be screen-captured and i would be as good as the real thing. Wondering, what you think about these issues - and how can blockchain be used in art domain?

Hi Guys, here is @luizjunqueira from Zürich and I just started the course. I was at TechCrunch 2018 in Zug when Karl from Ethereum Foundation presented cryptoeconomics.study. Looking forward to intereact with you. Cheers, Luiz

Hi there!
I’m @thibmeu. I am a master student in computing science and am performing my master thesis. I’m the proud developer of achievement.network and I really interested in ways to bring blockchain education to people.
I went through the whole tutorial and found it very good and well taught (@karl you’re enthusiasm is fantastic :smiley:)
I am looking forward to contribute to the growth of this project

Hey @pranay, sorry for the late reply. Was a busy time here in Berlin, putting together stuff for DAPPCON over the past couple of weeks.
In regards to your comment: The application of blockchain technology to digital arts is something that I’ve seen come up in conversation often, and it is a very intuitive connection of the idea of authenticity and the blockchain’s public ledger. However, I am personally weary of where this could go. I think the ability to create digital scarcity requires some good thinking about what we want to make scarce and what we want to make abundant.
Imagine for example applying blockchain-based digital scarcity to memes. That could take us to a scenario where some sort of token-based transaction (translatable to fiat or a local platform currency) is required in order to look at a meme or to let’s say repost it. As a user, I think that would totally take out the fun and the very inherent nature of memes, which in my opinion is to propagate as quickly as possible through the paths of least resistance (screenshotting for immediate replication is a great example). I would argue that a similar situation is found in communities like devianart, where users thrive off informal collaboration (ie in order to create styles) and video game communities where people make outfits for their characters out of pure curiosity and creativity. The longevity of some of these works could be at stake if their diffusion relies on an economic transaction.
In short, i believe some things should be left out of token economics and remain simply as “social capital”, which is a space where they already very successfully thrive.
My interest in cryptoeconomics is more in line to utility tokens or “platform token models” where users partaking have the possibility to accrue some value through their work which I don’t think has to necessarily done through scarcity.

Vitalik made a similar comment here:

Hi! I’m Kars, I’m working mostly on Swarm City smart contracts. I love Karl’s vision and energy on bringing ethereum to everyday people!

Hey there everyone, I’m gamedazed - it’s not a particularly accurate name, but it stuck - anyways you may know my name from the OmiseGo subreddit, I found cryptoeconomics.study by watching Karl’s videos. I’ve been following cryptoeconomics.study since the first set of lectures was put online, but just made my account. I’ve never programmed a blockchain and only have a tiny bit of experience in languages commonly used therein, namely Go(Lang) and Python - no solidity experience. I work for a financial institution writing automation, my language of choice is Perl. Crypto has been a big part of my life for a long time, but I’ve only recently had the desire to start programming one, which has luckily coincided with a field-wide recognition that knowledge-shares should be a point of focus to expand the community. Even in such a fruitful environment I see coming about, I think having a place to ask questions will be very beneficial. I’m glad this place exists, I’m glad to be here, and I look forward to learning with all of you.

Hi everyone! My name is Deniz (pronounced Dennis like Dennis the Menace!) and I’m based in Cyprus. I got into crypto in early 2016 when I started my MSc in Digital Currencies and I haven’t come out of the rabbit hole since then. I’m tech evangelist for Kyber Network but I’ve also cofounded ICOduediligence.com for project research and have been running cryptodyssey.capital for the last two years.

I saw Karl talk about cryptoeconomics.study at the Ethereum meetup in Zug a few weeks ago and it sounded awesome so here I am! Hoping to contribute in any way I can.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that creating scarcity for memes, etc. will take the fun out of it - but what about artworks which artists want to monetize and creating scarcity may be a way to get them paid for it. I think DADA does something similar, but they ask that the art be created on their platform (on a art creator type interface) which ensures authenticity of the art.